First time HElB applications are now being accepted from students placed by the Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS), as well as those enrolled in self-sponsored programs at private and public universities in Kenya and the East African Community that are recognised by the Commission for University Education (CUE)
All the undergraduate university students are eligible for loans ranging from Ksh40,000 to Ksh60,000 per year.
With those students placed through Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS), the loan amount is divided between tuition fees and upkeep costs, whereas self-sponsored students have their tuition payments transferred directly to the university once a year.
As per to the HELB, its loans come with a 4% interest rate and a Ksh1,000 ledger every year, with a maximum Undergraduate loan amount of Ksh60,000 per academic year.
Number of loans available is determined by the length of the program.
With a 4-year program, a loan is issued four times, and for a 5-year program, five times.
This loan is charged an administrative fee of Ksh500 every year, which is taken from the disbursed amount.
A limited number of needy government-sponsored students get annual bursaries ranging from Ksh4,000 to Ksh8,000. The Bursary is paid to the university.
THE repayment of undergraduate loans begins one year after graduation or as soon as the Board decides to recall the loan, whichever comes first.
Deadline for applications is Wednesday, 30th November 2022
Official Requirements for HELB Loan First Time Applications
One should provide the following documents with your HELB application form (enclosed in a single envelope):
- Have a copy of the applicant’s national identification card.
- Have Copies of the parents’ national identification cards/death certificates, if the parent is deceased.
- Have Copies of both guarantors’ national identification cards.
- Have a copy of the admission letter and KCSE result slip/certificate of the applicant.
- Have copy of the applicant’s bank ATM/bank card (for government-sponsored students only)
- Have a copy of the applicant’s institution’s Smart Card.
- Have one recent coloured passport photo of the applicant.
OFFICIAL HELB Contacts
Telephone: 0711 052000
Facebook: Higher Education Loans Board
Official Website: http://www.helb.co.ke/